Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mentoring relationship brings mutual benefits

Connecticutplus.com (Norwalk, CT) February 1, 2011


"'You need a village for these children,' explains Helen Harriss, whose great-grandson, Andre Dawson, really enjoys spending time with his 'Big Friend,' Darren Humphreys, as part of Project Friendship, a mentoring program at Family & Children’s Agency in Norwalk. 'Andre is crazy about Darren,' she continues, 'and they connect very well.'
For his part, Mr. Humphreys, a Norwalk resident who has worked with his 'Little Friend' Andre for about two years, feels, 'It’s very much a symbiotic relationship, and I benefit from it just as much as Andre does. I have no children of my own, so being with Andre helps me get a very good ‘vibe’ of what pre-teens are like, and what they’re going through. He keeps me in touch. And it gives me a sense of pride when he has a significant achievement at school or in sports.'" Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment