Monday, May 2, 2011

Woodland event takes on bullying

Milford-Orange Bulletin (Milford, CT) May 1, 2011


"It’s a Thursday afternoon, and about 18 kids are crowded around a table in a small meeting room at the Boys and Girls Club of Milford commiserating over what is, for many youths, a daily reality: being bullied.
'A long time ago when I started to come here, people kept calling me ‘unibrow’ because I had a unibrow, and it hurt my feelings a lot,' said a little girl with fluffy dark hair tamed by a pink headband.
'Once this kid was bullying me, and I got mad and flipped him over. He was bullying me for a long time,' a boy across the table chimed in.
These stories are reasons Nick Owens, 11, pushed two months ago for the Boys and Girls Club to start an anti-bullying group, an outlet where members could gather Thursday afternoons to empathize with others over such experiences, suggest ways to combat teasing and build self-esteem. Meanwhile, bullying stories and suicides and arrests related to them have captured the nation’s attention." Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment