Thursday, February 21, 2013

New Study Links Childhood Bullying to Adult Psychological Disorders, Surprising Even the Study's Authors

Slate.com, February 20, 2013

"A significant study from Duke, out today, provides the best evidence we’ve had thus far that bullying in childhood is linked to a higher risk of psychological disorders in adulthood. The results came as a surprise to the research team. 'I was a skeptic going into this,' lead author and Duke psychiatry professor William E. Copeland told me over the phone, about the claim that bullying does measurable long-term psychological harm. 'To be honest, I was completely surprised by the strength of the findings. It has certainly given me pause. This is something that stays with people.'
I’m less surprised, because as I explain in my new book about bullying, Sticks and Stones, earlier research has shown that bullying increases the risk for many problems, including low academic performance in school and depression (for both bullies and victims) and criminal activity later in life (bullies). But the Duke study is important because it lasted for 20 years and followed 1,270 North Carolina children into adulthood. Beginning at the ages of 9, 11, and 13, the kids were interviewed annually until the age of 16, along with their parents, and then multiple times over the years following." Read More

1 comment:

  1. As per my observation also, most of the children bullied while their young age, they most likely tend to be different in adulthood. They tend to be self-pity and self-oriented. But, I guess, this has case to case basis. I think interventionists and psychologists, has more of about idea.

    ReplyDelete