Monday, March 10, 2014

Prescription Drug Abuse Can Lead to Rise in Heroin Addiction

NBC Connecticut, March 6, 2014:

"The first time Michael took a prescription pain killer it wasn’t because he was in pain. The prescription didn’t come from his doctor.
'The first time I took a Percocet I was in high school,' said Michael. 'I was just at a party with a bunch of people, I got offered one, and that was it.'
That was the start of a spiral into years of addiction to pain killers and what eventually led him to a group called ‘My Bottom Line.’ Once a month, a group that usually consists of about 25-40 people meets in Southington to talk about successes, survival, and heartbreak. They come from all different walks of life. What binds them is addiction. Some have loved ones who are addicts and some, like Michael, are addicts themselves.
'It takes time to get to that point,' said Michael. 'I didn’t decide one day that I wanted to be addicted to pain killers. It just happened.'" Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment